Sunday, October 31, 2010

SO Korean

I just got home from one of my tutoring lessons, where I help a middle school boy with his essay writing. Today's essay was a compare and contrast essay, and in the hour and a half that I spend sitting there and daydreaming while he writes, I started comparing and contrasting Korea with any other place I've lived. There were so many things that seem unique to Korea, so I came up with a list of things that are just so Korean.

KIMCHI: I'll start with the obvious ones, such as being served Kimchi with EVERY SINGLE MEAL. I still wake up in the morning thinking of pancakes and french toast, only to be served soup and rice with Kimchi for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner, at any and every restaurant).

UNIQUE STYLE: It always seemed to me that, while there are many trends in America, Americans tend to add their own uniqueness to their style, being similar but still different from everyone else. In Korea, I see no such desire to be "different." THE style is very obvious and everywhere. For women, the hair style is straight across bangs and hair chopped straight at the shoulders. The look isn't complete though without the big square glasses, oversized sweater, and pair of converse shoes. For the guys, the "pretty boy" look (as the korean girls call it) is desirable, complete with slim jeans, polo shirt, scarf, and pea coat.

PINK ANIMATED SOCKS ON OLDER MEN: Another thing I've never noticed anywhere else is the use of "character socks" by all ages and genders here. Character socks are ankle length socks with different animated characters on them, in all kinds of colors. I've now gotten used to seeing them on my middle to high school aged boys, as well as the old men walking around the streets in sandals and many times pink character socks. They're available just about everywhere for 1,000 won (just under $1.00).

MIRRORS EVERYWHERE: Anywhere you go in Korea, you're bound to see a group of girls, mirrors out, just looking at themselves. They do this on the busses, in restaurants, on the streets, etc. I assume this is why mirrors are include on everything from wallets to cell phone charms here. There are mirrors in every elevator and entrance, and if that isn't enough, you will always see people standing in the middle of the sidewalk, checking their appearance in the nearest window reflection.

BOY BANDS: Lets just say that if the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync had moved their act to Korea, they would probably still be as popular as ever. K-pop is the music of Korea, and boy/girl bands are all the rage.

BABY PERMS: About half my kindergarteners have them. You have to make sure your baby is in style.

RAINBOW DOGS: Ask any of my students what color a dog would be, and they'll give you a very confused look. Why? Because in Korea, a dog can be any color you want it to be. You will rarely see big dogs here (too scary), but you'll see plenty of very colorful, small dogs. The ears, tails, and even whiskers are sure to be dyed a bright pink, green, orange or blue.

HALLOWEEN EVERY DAY: Just kidding. Koreans don't celebrate Halloween, but I don't go a day without seeing Korean women that remind me of the holiday. Masks are commonplace and many are made to cover the entire face, leaving a slit/flap open for the eyes and mouth. I still do a doubletake when I pass them on the street. The look is usually completed with a big visor.

ACCESSORIES: Accessory stores are everywhere and there is never a bad time to wear an oversized bow in your hair or a headband with minnie mouse ears.


1 comment: