Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You foolish American

My co-worker, Paula, shared this video with me. If you want some insight (although very exaggerated) into the system here, please watch it. It's hilarious because the issues it brings up are so real. Myself and others here have experienced this first hand.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7839719/ (Watch before reading further!)

Since the video is titled "Why You Shouldn't Teach English in Korea," I feel the need to express that, despite some of these very real issues, I still love working here and so far it has been a very worthwhile experience (I plan on coming back for a second year!). I have also been paid on time, every time, although I can't say the same for some of my other friends here. It's like a game of chance- you never know what kind of situation you will be put into, what kind of boss you will have, if he/she will honor any or all parts of your contract, etc.

My favorite line from the video is, "You foolish American, you're treating your contract like it's a contract." That line is so funny to me because my boss has all but said those same words to me, during the time when he was asking me work extra hours, live in a home stay instead of the promised apartment, and not take any sick days when I was sick.

The other day, a friend of mine told me about a conversation he had with his Korean co-teacher, who found it funny that Americans were so "contract-oriented." He said that if a Korean was asked to do something outside of his/her contract, he/she would do it without question, and that is expected in this culture. Americans come here and are shocked at that. How dare someone ask us to do anything not included in our contract? We see it as though we are being cheated, while they (Koreans) see it simply as their duty. That reminded me of a conversation I had with my boss a couple months ago. He told me, during one of those times when he was asking me to do extra work, that the more work I do, the more I will be respected, and that that is how you earn respect here- by doing more than you are expected to do. I was not very happy to hear that since I was sick and already working full time, but I now realize that maybe that was a cultural thing, instead of some manipulation by my boss to get me to do more work.

I am still a firm believer in sticking to the contract and avoiding getting run down, stressed, and overworked, but at least now I understand the other side, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment